It’s the holiday season, let the shopping frenzy begin! But in the end, aren’t the holidays really about giving rather than receiving. Donating will allow you to help the less fortunate and at the same time, make you feel happy and great about yourself. And we all know that happiness is good for the heart.
Salynn Boyles, writer of Positive People Have Less Heart Disease said “researchers found that the happiest people were 22% less likely to develop heart disease over the 10 years of follow-up than people who fell in the middle of the negative-positive emotion scale.” Judging by those statistics, you should focus on making yourself happy. By donating to a charity, you will not only be helping the cause, but also improving your health.
There are varieties of non-profit organizations and charities that can truly use your help and donations. These organizations include:
- Boys and Girls club enables all young people, especially those who need it most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
- Donate to a specific club or community and make a difference.
- Out of nearly two million nonprofit organizations in the United States, the Foundation was ranked #75 in the 2009 Philanthropy 400 published by the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- Toys for Tots provide toys, books and other gifts to less fortunate children.
- The Make a Wish Foundation grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions.
- They enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.
- The foundation was started by the actor in 2000, shortly after he announced he had Parkinson’s.
- The foundation has funded $30 million in research. But there main focus is a $1 million program designed to find genetic links to the disease.
- Breast Cancer Research Foundation is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to achieve prevention and a cure for breast cancer in our lifetime.
- They want to increasing public awareness about good breast health.
- New York Organ Donor Network is dedicated to saving and improving lives through organ, tissue and eye donation and transplantation.
- MaxWell Medical’s Ernest Vendryx volunteered for UNYTS (Upstate New York Transplant Services) during his junior and senior year of college. He was able to get over 260 people to register and become organ and tissue donors. As well as getting over 50 people to donate blood.
- New York Cares is known for their annual Coat Drive. They collect nearly 70,000 gently used, freshly laundered winter coats each December and distributes them to thousands of men, women, and children. This year MaxWell Medical has teamed up with New York Cares and helping to collect coats from both our office locations.
- They also offer volunteer programs. Spread some holiday cheer and sign up for a project today.
- The Salvation Army operates nearly 1,400 thrift/family stores.
- Your donation support will be repaid many times over by the thousands of lives changed each day.
- Last year, more than 66 million people donated to Goodwill. There are more than 2,400 Goodwill donation locations in the United States and Canada.
- Goodwill accepts your new or gently used items, such as, clothing, appliances, electronics and furniture.
- This food-distribution program helps feed more than 1.5 million people per year citywide.
- You can pitch in and collect from food drives for distribution, or volunteer at a local soup kitchen.
- Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen has been a symbol of hope and compassion in the Chelsea section of Manhattan since 1982. Volunteer your time and help provide nourishment to those who are hungry.
- Our office manager Ferwah Rizvi volunteers every year at this soup kitchen.
- A donation to this food-delivery program helps pay for the more than 2.2 million nutritious meals.
- The group provides food each year to low-income and homebound people. If you’d prefer to give time rather than money, help deliver food on the weekends or visit with a City meals client.
- The Humane Society of New York has been a presence in New York City, caring for animals in need when illness, injury or homelessness strikes.
- You can send private donations, corporate gifts, foundation grants, non-cash contributions, and etc.
- The Best Friends Animal Society is guided by a simple philosophy: kindness to animals builds a better world for all of us.
- Your gift to the animals provides food, shelter, loving care and so much more.
- ASPCA purpose is to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States.
- There are a number of easy giving options from which you can choose. All donations whether individual or corporate will help.
- Esperanza International is a non-profit, charitable organization that is dedicated to empowering the poor by helping them bridge existing needs with available resources.
- MaxWell Medical’s entire staff donated to Esperanza International. Our office manager Ferwah Rizvi was the leader of the New York free agents of change. She participated in three different house building projects in Tijuana, Mexico. She also worked with schools, visited hospices and HIV/AIDS shelters.
- You can volunteer to teach English and American-culture classes at this language-learning center in Chelsea.
- Donations help fund scholarships for the neediest students.
There are plenty more charities and non-profit organizations that can use your help. If you’d like more information regarding those charities, check out http://charity.lovetoknow.com. This holiday season, MaxWell Medical wants you to GIVE MORE!