- ENDURANCE – So James Franco had a very busy 2010. His movie 127 hours is nominated for best picture, he’s nominated for best actor, and oh yea, he’s hosting the Oscars too! Between that and actually training to play a mountain climber for his movie, it’s no doubt the guy definitely needed endurance. With that thought in mind we thought we would give you an exercise that will not only help improve your overall endurance, but give you a total body work out as well. And believe it or not it’s actually called the Mountain Climber! (What are the odds??) This one can be a little tough, but the results are worth it.
Mountain Climber Exercise
1. Stand with your arms by your sides, feet together.
2. Bend down and put your hands shoulder width apart on the floor.
3. Place yourself in the basic push-up position with your arms in line with your chest and your legs extended outward.
4. Rest on the balls of your feet while bringing one leg (for this example we’ll say left leg) forward to your chest and back to its original position. Keep the right leg tucked during the forward and back movement of the left leg.
5. Check to be sure your bent leg and hands carry the weight of your body and that you hold your head up during the back and forth leg movements.
6. Repeat the motion described in Step 4 rapidly, alternating one leg forward and one leg back. This movement mimics the “climbing of a mountain.”
7. Repeat as many times as you can. Remember to inhale and exhale steadily during the entire mountain climber exercise.
So why not give it a try? True, it may not help you host the Oscars for 2012, but you will increase your overall endurance and stamina. Not to mention your health. And who knows? It may even help you fit into that bathing suit from last summer to.